Know the Real Difference between Racking and Shelving
It doesn’t matter whether you own a small distribution center or a large warehouse facility, implementing a well-organized storage system is important. A proper storage system can bring several benefits, such as improved inventory control and accuracy, superior customer service, improved risk management, cost savings, and more. There are different types of storage systems in use today that help increases the overall space and efficiency of your facility. Two of the most popular storage units are pallet racking and shelving. Though both terms are used interchangeably, there is a big difference between them. Would you like to know what they are? What is the difference between racking and shelving? Read this post to know more.
What is an Industrial Shelving?
Shelving is one of the basic yet essential types of industrial storage systems. These storage systems do not require a forklift or any other vehicle for placing and picking up goods. Industrial shelves are usually made of metal. Depending on the individual application need, they are designed for any height with n number of shelves. There are several benefits of industrial shelving that have contributed to their popularity. The following are a few important ones:
- They are customizable.
- They help increase overall productivity.
- They are space-efficient and versatile.
- They are durable.
- They are easy-to-assemble and provide secure product storage.
What is an Industrial Racking System?
Industrial racking is another popular storage solution used across industries, especially in warehouses and large distribution centers to optimize the storage space. They are deeper and stacked higher than shelves. It is designed in such a way that makes it possible to access products using forklifts or automated mechanized devices. Industrial racking is made of durable, high-strength materials, like stainless steel. Owing to the desirable properties of the material, it can withstand the weight of heavy products.
Industrial Racking vs Industrial Shelving – Know the Real Difference
Racking and shelving are the two popular ways to store your inventory. Though it may require significant investment, it is a long-term solution for all your warehouse needs. Here are some important pointers on these storage types:
- One major difference between warehouse racking and shelving is the type and size of products both storage solutions can accommodate. Shelves store and hold light weight products that are easy to store, retrieve, and carry by hand. Shelving is laid out in single sections where products are stored individually. Racking is constructed in various bays to support heavier products.
- In the case of shelving, the products you need frequently can be arranged in front, and the least required ones are stored towards the end. On the contrary, the products are stored in an orderly manner on the pallet racks. It helps save loss of production time. It also reduces operational costs that may experience owing to product damage or falls.
- Pallet racking may require material handling equipment, such as forklifts or mechanized devices to lift and move heavy materials. This is not the case with industrial shelving.
- In the case of pallet racking, you need to conduct regular inspections and audits for checking the parts are not messed up. This helps check if there is damage to products. These processes may be tedious and time-consuming but bring long-term benefits.
Now, you may get the answer of what is the difference between racking and shelving. Irrespective of the storage system the businesses choose to invest in, it is important to understand the capabilities of each system. Are you in search of an industry supplier who will offer you the best storage solution for your facility? If yes, then SPS Ideal Solutions is a one-stop solution for you. The company offers unique yet performance-driven and durable storage solutions. These storage solutions are made of stainless steel. Owing to the beneficial features of these storage solutions, they help boost overall warehouse productivity. If you are unsure of which storage solution to choose for your facility, then get in touch with the experts at the company, They will assist you throughout the process by understanding your application requirements.
- Warehouse Pallet Racking Vs Floor Stacking: Which One is Better?
- Know the Significance and Design Pointers of Pallet Racking 101
- How to Design your Warehouse Racking Layout for Optimization?
- Do’s and Don’ts of Choosing Industrial Pallet Racking Systems