Why Do You Need The Pallet Shuttle System In Your Warehouse?
Warehouse management is not an easy task, as it involves several considerations due to complexities involved. Over the years, warehouse managers have been relying on applications such as warehouse management systems (WMS) to efficiently manage and optimize their warehouses. WMS is the comprehensive term for an application or set of semi-automated applications that involves several modules contributing to the functioning of the warehouse. Pallet Shuttle System is one of the popular types of WMS. This system has been gaining popularity over the traditional pallet racking system in many industries. This system is suitable for those who are looking for ways to optimize their rack/pallet capacity and make the best use of available space. This system serves plenty of benefits over the traditional and pushback racking systems. What benefits do they offer? How can these systems be an asset to your warehouse? This post introduces the pallet shuttle system and its need for modern warehouses.
A Brief Introduction to Pallet Shuttle Systems
The pallet shuttle system is designed to achieve high pallet capacity and high-density storage. The function of this system effective. It either uses First-In-First-Out (FIFO) or Last-In-First-Out (LIFO) techniques of inventory management. First-In-First-Out (FIFO) is often used for general product storage such as raw material, metal workpieces, and unperishable items. However, Last-In-First-Out (LIFO) technique is used for products with low life cycles or validity like dairy products, meat, etc.
Reasons Why Pallet Shuttle System Is Needed For Your Warehouse
When it comes to inventory management, every organization demands a quick, organized, user-friendly, and cost-efficient warehouse. The pallet shuttle system enables warehouse managers to meet their storage and retrieval goals. The following pallet shuttle system benefits have contributed to their popularity among warehouse managers.
- Easy Automated Operation: This system uses a WMS software which is used to remotely control the pallet system. In this system, automated shuttles or vehicles are installed in the rack area instead of conventional forklift trucks. Your warehouse operator has the shuttle and pallet control over a tablet. The operator can select the inventory management technique like FIFO or LIFO from the software itself.
- Operational Versatility: To operate the system, the operator needs not to enter the warehouse. It takes only one command to start the shuttles. Another benefit of operational versatility in this system is that it is a scalable system. The operator can set the limit of products being transported, and the destination of loaded shuttles to reach. This means the racks can be filled randomly, as per the requirement.
- Safety: In this system, the shuttle need not enter the rack. Therefore, unlike conventional forklift, the pallet shuttle system has a negligible risk of accidents. In the case of human safety, this system can be operated from outside the warehouse. Therefore, there is nearly zero chance of hazards. These systems have a user management feature, which allows managers to restrict the number of operators in the area. Thus, no unauthorized person can interfere with inventory management. This rules out the security concerns as well.
- Continuous and organized product flow: Unlike traditional forklift based WMS, these systems possess advanced product diversification capabilities. The products can be grouped according to specifications and supply chain details. Therefore, the warehouse product management becomes organized. The product flow is continuous as FIFO or LIFO is regulated on the shuttle pallet system.
- Space and time saving: The pallet shuttle system benefits in space and time-saving. The storage capacity of each rack is 131 Ft in depth. This means the products can be stored vertically, which helps in saving room space of assembly. The built-in error rectification sensor helps position the shuttles efficiently and eliminate the empty ones. So that the eliminated shuttles go back to the queue and the storage space increases.
In terms of time, inventory time is reduced by this system. The loading and unloading duration is reduced as lifting time is reduced to 5 seconds or less per product. Generally, the shuttle speed is about 259 Ft per minute in the empty state, whereas a loaded shuttle travels 148 Ft per minute this end-to-end shuttle travel mechanism causes no interruption, therefore there are negligible chances of time loss.
However, the knowledge about pallet system shuttle benefits is not enough for effective application, rather you need to use reliable pallet racks and other warehouse storage systems, too. This becomes possible when you seek services of experts like SPS Ideal Solutions. This company possesses a vast experience in designing and manufacturing customized storage solutions to suit your storage and shipping needs.
- What are OSHA Regulations for Stacking Pallets?
- Tips for Rack Safety and Keeping OSHA Away
- Tips for Warehouse Rack Safety
- How To Identify Areas Where Rack Guarding Is Needed?