The Versatility and Benefits of Corrosion Prevention and Packaging Technologies
Turbines and power generators are vital for the operation of many industrial applications. Once manufactured, these equipment are secured using industrial racks for safe transport and delivery. However, one problem that persists is the extreme moisture and rain. These elements can cause corrosion in turbines and generators, which not only reduces their performance, but also leads to downtime. To prevent such situations from taking place, industrial racks manufacturers and suppliers provide corrosion prevention and packaging services.
Understanding Corrosion Prevention Packaging and its Technologies
Also known as preservation systems, corrosion or rust prevention packaging is designed to create protective barriers around industrial equipment. This is done to protect them from any kind of corrosive elements. Corrosion prevention and packaging is designed using two types of technologies. These are:
- Vapor Corrosion Inhibitors (VCI): This technology comprises a combination of anti-corrosion inhibitors with polyolefin base, and Low-density Polyethylene (LDPE) resins. The VC inhibitors are in pellet form, which allows them to be combined with the resin easily to create a protective covering of various sizes. The packaging emits a vapor that sticks to the metal surface of the equipment, creating a protective layer.
- Vapor phase Corrosion Inhibitors (VpCI): A second corrosion prevention technology, VpCI creates a molecular, chemically adsorbed layer around components and products. The advantage of this technology is, it provides complete coverage, and can protect cavities, surfaces, and crevices. The packaging is also self-replenishing and can provide protection up to 24 months, even when opened and closed repeatedly.
Benefits of these Equipment Preservation Systems
Corrosion prevention and packaging technologies can provide a variety of benefits to industrial and commercial equipment and vehicles.
- The application requires the metal surfaces to be clean to allow the VpCI molecules to become ‘attached’ to the metal.
- The VpCI molecules replace the water vapor molecules on the metal surfaces.
- The packaging requires minimal labor and time for installation, which results in immense savings.
- The need for using any type of desiccant can be eliminated.
- The packaging is completely recyclable. Hence, costs related to hazardous waste disposal is eliminated.
- One packaging can be used to protect ferrous and non-ferrous metals, as well as equipment with multiple metals.
- The packaging is safe for the user as well as the environment.
Types of VCI/VpCI Corrosion Prevention Products
These two technologies can be used to create a variety corrosion prevention products, including:
- Poly Bags
- Poly Sheets
- Poly Liners
- Shrink Film
- Poly Covers
- Poly Tubing
- Shrink Bags
- Shrink Tubing
The various benefits and product versatility makes VCI and VpCI technologies ideal corrosion prevention solutions for applications in industries such as oil and gas, automotive, shipping, and aerospace.