Learn About the Importance of Material Selection in Sheet Metal Fabrication
The process of sheet metal fabrication is highly dependent on the type of material being fabricated. Sheet metal fabrication is a complex activity, as it includes several operations like cutting, bending, folding, punching, dies forming, embossing, and many more. All these operations are performed by using specific machines, therefore, the compatibility of the sheet metal with the machine is very essential for effective sheet metal fabrication. The material being utilized for production makes an impact on the production economy and operational efficiency. This makes material selection one of the most crucial design considerations for sheet metal fabrication. This post discusses the importance of material selection and factors for choosing custom metal fabrication material.
What are the Common Types of Sheet Metals?
Commonly utilized metals for sheet metal fabrication are listed below.
- Stainless Steel
- Galvanized Steel
Why Material Selection Maters?
The material selection impacts the design, operational and economical aspects of sheet metal fabrication.
- Economic Aspects of Material Selection: The most essential aspect of operational economics is material selection. The design of the product and fabrication can be impacted by the material utilized. Appropriate selection of material can result in saving up-front investment and duration of the performance.
- In the production process, if the material is incorrect, production errors are faced. In extreme cases, the abrupt failure of manufactured products can be observed. These failures can result in huge economical loss of raw material procurement, equipment running, and processing cost. Therefore, selecting a material compatible with the fabrication method and product utility is essential to save capital investment and operational losses.
- One product can be manufactured using multiple metals. However, one metal can be inexpensive than another while offering nearly the same properties. Therefore, consideration of cost along with performance properties is essential.
- Operational Aspects of Material Selection: Material selection also plays a key role performance of a final product. Various sheet fabricated products demand a varying range of properties like mechanical strength, surface finish, corrosion resistance, etc. Also, fabricating intricate shapes requires dimensional stability and production accuracy. Here, the choice of material plays an important role in meeting the requirements of the fabrication process and the final product. Selection of appropriate material in sheet metal fabrication enhances product lifecycle, performance efficiency, etc.
To achieve high product quality, only the selection of material would not suffice rather use of the right equipment is important too. This is why you must source sheet metal fabrication services from trusted companies like SPS Ideal Solutions. The company holds over 30 years of experience in sheet metal fabrication and custom product manufacturing. Their experts are capable of offering appropriate material suggestions according to the specific needs of the customers. They have been providing custom sheet fabrication services to clients from industries like metal production, automobiles, agriculture, and medical equipment manufacturing.
- 9 Ways to Save Money on Metal Fabrication
- Everything You Need to Know About Custom Metal Fabrication
- What is Metal Sheet Fabrication?